Till now, 283 posts have been posted in this blog– some of them good, some not so good, some got numerous hits wile some were lost in the crowd. I will be recycling some of these posts in coming days. In today’s post, I will be re-posting 7 posts which, according to me, were good ones but were lost in the crowd and didn’t get as many hits as they should have. So here they are:
- The Courageous Life of Sophie Scholl- Now, who is Sophie Scholl? Sohpie Scholl was a member of non-violent student resistance movement against Nazi rule in Germany. The group called itself “White Rose” which was mostly based in University of Munich campus and its main activity was printing and distributing leaflets denouncing Hitler’s rule, which was equivalent to asking for death sentence in Hitler’s regime.
- Invictus: The Unconquered Ones- Gandhi, Mandela, Martin Luther King were all Invictus, the unconquered ones, and they were the masters of their souls. The poem “Invictus” by William Henley probably describes very well the struggles of such souls amongst all the obstacles, still emerging victorious.
- Hole-Punch Clouds: Mystery Solved- Any guesses what punched that hole in the cloud? Well, researchers have been looking for the answer for a while and airplanes have been the main suspect for this phenomenon.New research studyconfirms that planes, both propellers and jet planes , can cause formation of these shapes in the clouds named as “hole-punched clouds ” or “punched hole clouds” as a result of enhanced precipitation effect. These clouds have also been linked to UFO sightings in past, most famous one being inMoscow during October 2009.
- Wait For It…Wait For It- Patience pays, Don’t give in to temptations, Have Self-control: we have been told since our childhood. Well, depending on how much self control or patience we have, determines our success in life. To study these effects and what mental processes lead to self control or delayed gratification, psychologist Walter Mischel conducted a very famous Marshmallow experiment with a group of few 4 year old kids in Stanford in 1960.
- Time To Tickle You- Tickling is a very interesting sensation, it can burst you into laughter and on the other hand it can make you agitated as well. We all have tickled someone or have been tickled either by parents or siblings or friends. It’s also interesting to note that you can not tickle yourself implying that an element of surprise is very important.
- Prime is in Nature- Magicicada is one of the genus of cicada species and are primarily found in eastern US and they have a very interesting periodic life cycle pattern. They follow either a 13 or 17 year life cycle pattern where after hatching from the eggs, and lying under the ground for 13 or 17 years, all of them emerge at once on the surface. Emergence of all the adult cicadas after 13/17 years is well synchronized.
- Photoemission Delay Time- Photoelectric effect has been known to us for a long time. Heinrich Hertz first observed this phenomena in 1887 where a material absorbs electromagnetic radiation and emits electrons. While most of details are clearly understood, one aspect which has been missing is the delay time in emission of electrons after the matter absorbs photon.
Image credit: Flickr user Missbng | Used under Creative Commons License